Art Log (November and December 2022)

Happy New Year! How have you been doing? I hope the new year treats you well. 

I just wanted to share my art from November and December 2022. I focused on drawing and studying mostly mountains these two months, since I wanted to practise them for a piece I want to make in future.

The one below is K2 or Chhogori or Mt. Godwin Austen, which is on the border of Pakistan and China. This is the first serious sketch of a mountain that I've made and I was pretty happy with how it turned out. 



Feeling encouraged by the well turned out sketch, I ventured to make my first attempt at a mountain on a digital medium. This drawing below is of a mountain in Egmont National Park, New Zealand. I made sure to get a simple one, since it was my first attempt, and it came out pretty good!

It still was quite challenging to draw the rock and snow textures. A lot of experimenting went down for that. My favourite part was drawing the light and highlights on the mountain. 



I drew Kanchenjunga next, and I think I got a little too ambitious. In my defense, I looked at the reference of this painting and thought it was simple, but it really was most challenging drawing I've made and finished. 

The details of the mountains in the background were very hard to replicate from the reference, and I really struggled. I then realised that it was a mistake to choose a wide shot of mountains too early since I was just starting out with my mountain studies. 



The next one below is a thumbnail sketch of Masherbrum or K1 in Pakistan. The reference image was kind of small on my phone so I thought it would be a good idea to challenge myself to draw in a small area in my sketchbook. I don't often draw in small areas, but it really is a good exercise to do because it makes you use your brain and eyes to do rescaling and being mindful of where certain parts of the drawing go according to the reference.

I deviated a little bit from mountains when I recently watched a bunch of penguin videos on YouTube, and I think I'm a little obsessed with them. I never had a favourite bird, but I think I found one! 

Here's the Adélie species of penguin, known to be small but very feisty. I highly suggest watching video's of Adélies. Their feistiness will make you laugh. My favourite video is this one.

Penguins are surprisingly easy to draw!


This is all the major drawings I did for the previous two months! I hope you liked them. Feel free to suggest me things to draw. I love a good challenge.

Once again, Happy New Year! 

Comments

  1. Nice ones Arnica. Good try. Keep improving.❤️

    ReplyDelete
  2. Penguins are easy to draw only because you are one of the fine artist !!
    You should really think about making art a career ….

    ReplyDelete
  3. The drawings are superb. I too love mountains and my favourite mountain is kanchenjunga. When I saw it in reality it looked so majestic and so close too because of its height when I was in Darjeeling. May God bless you with this talent. .

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

What do you think?

Popular Posts